Who has Custody of Children Out of Wedlock?

If only the mother’s name is on the birth certificate, custody may go solely to the mother, depending on the state. In other states, an unwed mother has custody to start with, even if the father is listed on the birth certificate. In many states, though, what is on the birth certificate does not matter or the law assumes joint custody, regardless of the circumstances of the parents.