Where can I Get Money for College?

If mom and dad don’t work, then the first thing to do is to apply for a FAFSA. This determines if you are eligible for any government grants, government loans, work study, and it calculates your expected family contribution (EFC), which is then sent to your university. Then, you can apply directly to the financial aid office at your university or college, which can provide additional funds to help pay for college. If you still don’t have enough funds, there are PLENTY of scholarship funds that want to help put students through college. Some are merit-based, some are need-based, and some are specifically for affinity groups. They often require an essay, teacher recommendations, transcript and/or an interview to determine the winning candidates. If all pursuits of free money fails, you can apply for a private loan from a bank such as Citi or Wells Fargo. In most cases, you’ll need to have a cosigner to apply, however, you’re almost certain to be able to get the money you need to go to school. For more information see here: