How to Ask for a Continuance Court Date?

If you have a court hearing scheduled and you will not be able to be there, you can ask the court for a continuance, which is a request to reschedule the hearing for another date. You will probably need to make a written request, and you should do so as far in advance of the hearing as possible. If you have a work conflict, cannot get an attorney, need more time to gather evidence or testimony, or have some other significant reason for making a request to reschedule, check with the other party to see if they agree with your request and then file a Motion for Continuance with the court clerk.